Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Flying

I have flown in the past but I am very particular in my flying. I have to be in the front because I get airsick easily. I can not sit by an open window (airsick). If there is turbulance....major airsick. I have to have plugs in my ears the whole time or I get major major pain (even with chewing gum and drinking water/soda). I have to hold on tight during take off and landing. So, why do I want to fly so bad? Because my son is in China and I am going to go get him and bring him home. Am I dreading the flight...maybe...am I already partially packed....yes....am I nervous about leaving my other children...yes....am I leaving in 21 days....YES!!!

My middle daughter, Chelsea, who is 19 years old is going with me. She has never flown before so I have no idea how she will do. We are both nervous about the flights but so very eager to go.

We received the phone call yesterday 9/16/2014 saying we had official Travel Approval in our agency's hand. We requested the Consulate Appointment that we have been hoping for (the soonest one after the Chinese Holiday shut down). Today we received our confirmed Consulate Appointment. That means we leave Oct 8, pick him up Oct 13, officially adopt him Oct 14, and have our Consulate Appt Oct 20, leave China Oct 22, and return to Florida Oct 23. Now I have to buy our airline tickets. We were hoping to use frequent flyer miles to fly or Buddy Passes. We have not been able to find anyone who has been able to help us out with this.

We are currently signed up with Reece's Rainbow to try to raise our In Country Funds of $12,500 that has to be wired.
I am a single mother who has 6 children. I have saved every month, has fundraisers and been working my tail off the entire last 16 months to raise the funds. I have made every payment!!! All agency, homestudy fees, USCIS fees, medical fees, application fee, fingerprinting fee, certification fees, etc. We are using bonus points through my debit card for a free hotel stay in Beijing but our agency requires we stay at the Garden but that hotel does not accept my points. I am trying to do everything possible to try to raise the only funds left... $12,500 for the In Country expenses and $5,000 for airfare. I thought I had airfare covered.

I have been asked several times why don't I wait to travel? According to China, an adoptive parent has 90 days from TA issuance (Sept 12, 2014) to travel to pick up the child....BUT...

Well...I don't think I can put it any better than this...This was put on on Facebook Reece's Rainbow page by a fellow adoptive mom that is so very sweet. He is sick and needs to come home. Please help us! We have to book tickets NOW and we have no funds for us to do so :(  We have gotten this far on our own but need a little help.


I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around things tonight.
Many of us step out in faith when we start our adoptions.
I don't know how other countries work, but for Ch*na, you pay a lot at each section of adoption. HS, 800A, DTC, LOA, TA, and then actual travel.
Imagine you have put all your heart, soul, and finances into your adoption........going after a little child in need of surgery to keep from getting a potentially deadly infection.........
You are working hard, saving all you can put toward it. You fill out all the grant and loan applications you can excited as you are each payment, knowing you are one step closer to your child. While you wait you are also helping advocate and fund for other children and families.
Finally you get close to the end. You've made the HS, 800A, DTC and LOA payments.........you've done all you can, still having faith that He is going to help you finish it.
Now imagine you have gotten this far and are now hearing from every one of this grant and loan applications. DENIED!
All you have left is TA fees and travel.....and you continue to save, but there is only so much time until you travel and you are over 11000 behind.
You continue to remember your child needs that surgery too......and you have learned that it is a very filthy unsanitary environment as well in his orphanage. He has scratches all over his body......just another avenue for infection and illness.
You grow more concerned about his health every day.
And all that you want and need to do is get on that plane!
Instead of being excited about being close though, you are terrified that he may have to wait........so you can hopefully raise the rest of the amount within the 90 day TA limits.
What would you do? How would you feel?
Well, This is the Michelle Barrett family plight.
They've even had matching grants offered and have no movement in the fsp.
Please take a moment to step back and consider all this. She didn't come and ask for help for the entire adoption. She got this far without grants or other aide.......and now she only has 22 days until travel...........she's seeing movement in a lot of other fsp ' s and though she's thrilled for them, she can't help but wonder and worry about if she will be able to travel, now or even later before the TA would run out.




No comments:

Post a Comment