Friday, September 26, 2014

How did you come to adopt?

        When I was young my parents were Foster Parents. We welcomed many children into our home as our brothers and sisters. They still hold a special place in my heart. When I was old enough I would spend summers with my Aunt and Uncle a few states away. My Aunt was Vietnamese and moved to the US when she met my Uncle, a soldier in the war. I loved her stories, culture, learning how to cook the meals of her culture, and so much more. I had always known growing up that I wanted a large family and had hoped to adopt. I was a single mother to four biological children and loved every minute of it. Their father had passed away and our lives continued. My children were my life and I knew God had planned it that way. My oldest daughter was seriously injured in 2007. She was bedridden for over half of a year and then in a wheelchair for over 3 years. During this time I lost my job (so that I could care for her 24/7), my house, and most of my friends but I did find the open arms of our church. We had been members for many years but they paid my bills, helped with my other children while I took her to Dr appointments, etc. I learned that God brought me to this place so that I could be a stay at home mom for my children because He had bigger, better things planned for my future. I had 3 special needs children now; one with Autism, one with Tramatic Brain Injury, and one who had spinal issues and was in a wheelchair. I felt God talk to me and I would lie awake at night and ask myself “What would happen to my children if something were to happen to me. They were labeled special needs. Who would take on 3 out of the 4 special needs children.” But my children weren’t special needs…they were beautiful, loving, caring, sweet, smart, and amazing children. Why would such a label keep my children from finding a home…AND how many other children in the world are burdened by such a label that is keeping them from finding a home. Then God spoke to me and showed me my son and daughter. In 2011 I began visits with these two children who were in the US Foster Care System. They were biological brother and sister, separated at birth, and never lived together. They were both medically fragile and in special needs care. We fell in love with them. In Oct 2011 they moved into my home and the adoption was final in Jan 2012. I knew God wasn’t done with building my family. In April or May 2013 I was planning my second daughter’s graduation The school would not allow any children at the graduation ceremony.  I had never left my two younger children with a sitter. So I reached out to our county special needs group and asked if there was a fellow mother who was experienced in special needs children who are adopted. Within minutes everyone had mentioned one ladies name and she asked me to come over to meet with her for half hour. I went over and met her and her 3 beautiful boys that she had adopted from Ukraine. Four hours later she mentioned she had to go to a friend’s Ice Cream Social that she had to raise funds for her adoption. She invited us and we all went. I met some amazing families and felt God speaking to my heart. Over the next few months he put several other adopting mother’s in my life and showed me that He was not done building my family.  I didn’t think I would qualify to adopt from China but He paved a way this entire year. He showed my sons face to me on a very special day in my life, my ex-husband/children’s father’s birthday. God has shown Himself in the whole process of this adoption and I know that He has great plans for my son to come home and love Him. My family loves this little boy so very much. God has also moved my heart and I advocate for older aging out children from China on a website I manage. I also started a Christian Family adoption support group in my town that meets monthly and is an amazing group of families. I will forever be grateful to God for building my family through adoption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment